Wednesday, April 8, 2009

So I have started reading Velvet Elvis that Aaron and Jessica gave me. :) So far some good stuff in there, only to the second chapter. It starts out as one of those "back to the beginning" books where not much is said except for "putting a new angle on Christianity" I am neither for nor against that idea so let me jot down some thoughts I had about it...

On the argument of "Do we correctly know as much as we can about God?" vs. "Does it really matter if some of it is wrong?" This is kinda the Doctrinaires vs. Mystics thing.

I believe arguments for both sides can be moot based on one thing I do know. (Something I have learned from reading Tozer.) It is God who justifies every act and every truth. He declares them right according to no other source or evidence but himself. So then it seems our debates and arguments within the Church (see: body of Christ) as to which doctrines to hold to i.e. trinity, speaking in tongues on baptism of Holy Spirit, yada yada yada, are moot in comparison to our PERSONAL, real relationship with God. These doctrines and beliefs ARE important, really, but compared to one's true relationship to God, their importance becomes infinitely small.

I shall conclude it as such: Nothing we know or say of God changes who He is, was and will always be. He justifies every thought and action of every sinful human by His grace through Jesus (see: salvation), even doctrines and philosophies. Therefore I would stick to His side, like glue, and let him sort out your issues :)

So the idolatry part. Idolatry is when man comes up with a god, or his idea of how god should be, and then makes an image of that based on his understanding. Ergo most gods end up resembling the man who carved it. So perhaps Idolatry could be defined as deciding for God who He is.

No comments: